Green Button is a common data standard that is being adopted across North America to allow consumers to share their electricity consumption data with app developers and solution providers in a secure and privacy-enabled way. Instead of having to customize your solution or service for every utility in the province, you can now develop products based on a standard data format that works across Ontario and conforms to a similar standard in the US.
Green Button allows you to easily access a customer's energy usage information and provide your value-added insights, recommendations and controls. Discussions are under way to extend Green Button to natural gas as well.
GREEN BUTTON IN NUMBERS
- 4.6 million smart meters in Ontario
- Over 60% of Ontarians have access to Green Button (Download My Data) and 100 million customers in the US have access
- 10 utilities in Ontario are already on board
Green Button is not a proprietary software solution but an industry standard that allows you to build your own solution.
green button Use-cases
1/ Residential customers
- Track and analyze energy use in various way
- Engage customers to take control of their energy (alarms, reports, tips, challenges, rewards)
- Optimize cost-effectiveness of rooftop solar projects
- Provide future home buyers with historical consumption data (e.g. MLS)
- Assist with retrofit planning to increase energy efficiency
2/ Commercial, Institutional and Industrial customers
- Monitor electricity consumption on a daily basis & compare to historical data baselines
- Set up consumption, cost targets and alerts
- Quickly identify buildings deviating from a “normal” behaviour and implement corrective actions
- Better manage energy budgets using projected and avoided costs, cumulative savings
- Create and export energy consumption and GHG reports (Reg 397/11)
To know more, check the Community Call #1 presentation.
To join the Green Button Connect My Data pilot, check the Pilot page.